Mar 5, 2009

In the clouds

Almost two years ago I was on fieldwork on the easternmost slopes of the Andes, right where the Amazon basin begins. I was researching cloud/forest interactions and so I stayed literally in the clouds. Sorting photos today I came across this 'almost-night-shot'. The cloud forest is very beautiful, but also quite remote, humid and cold. Therefore a lot of living things stay away from it and evenings can feel quite lonesome. Watching fantastically shaped clouds get stuck on peaks is generally the most reliable form of evening entertainment the place has to offer.



For more sky photos, visit Skywatch Friday.

13 comments:

Guy D said...

Brilliant photo to say the least. Its definately one of my favourites this week.

Have a great weekend!
Guy
Regina In Pictures

VALKYRIEN said...

Dark and mysterious sky! Wonderful shot!

Bryan said...

Spooky! I like it. The partially hidden cloud adds interest for me.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Moody atmsopheric image.

Jim said...

Looks mystical.

Lene said...

Dramatic. And so effectful whith that tiny, but thoug so shiny moon :) Well done :)

Louise said...

I love this. I agree with J Bar.

Terrebel said...

Even Discovery Channel can't beat the real deal. You prove it.

vincibene said...

Gorgeous magical picture!

Arija said...

A wonderful moonscape.

Anonymous said...

very nice picture

Light and Voices said...

Adore your moonscape....frame it!
Joyce

Huzhar said...

This is so beautiful! Good job!